Alcohol, anxiety, and heart rate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alcohol, anxiety, and heart rate

Could someone please explain the relationship among these three? I drink to calm my anxiety, but then when I drink, I awake during the night with my heart pounding, and then I cannot sleep. I mean that my body cannot go to sleep with my heart pounding, never mind that my mind is full of anxiety. The next day, I am exhausted from lack of sleep, so I stress about everything and then do it again. I do not understand this cycle. Please advise.

Have you read Alcohol Explained by William Porter? That book has all the details, but it boils down to this: alcohol is a sedative and your body floods with stress hormones (cortisol, adrenaline) to counteract the anesthetic when the alcohol wears off.

Comment

Hi there! I've posted about the time frame it takes alcohol to leave your system and for a person to sober up before, but the same thing pretty predictably happens to me. I dont know if it's my expectation that it's going to happen, or if my body is unique to anyone else, but JCH is correct in his response.
      sometimes when I've woken up in the middle of the night with a pounding heart and anxiety after drinking some earlier, I've checked my breath and EVERY time I'm just about sobering up. Like, the alcohol is almost completely leaving my blood after being there for hours, and my body has a mini freak out.
      the lack of sleep sucks - but yes I'd guess that it is being caused by your drinking to take your anxiety down.

Comment

Thanks, everybody. That's what I needed to know.

Comment

Hi Anon.....I used to get the exact same thing....bottom line....ALCOHOL BRINGS ON ANXIETY.....ANXIETY BRINGS ON HIGHER HEART RATE......if you want to lower your heart rate and lower your anxiety ……..lowering or getting rid of the alcohol accomplishes the job.....hope this helps.....many cheers

Comment

• CheesyRat
            CheesyRat commented
            Editing a comment
            Helped me!
        Working...
        X