Going to take this journey serious this time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to take this journey serious this time

i have known I need to either quit drinking completely or learn how to taper and have drink free days. I have started drinking 2 bottles of wine each day of the weekends and a bottle evernight. This can not go on and know I can not do cold turkey. Last night was my first day of spacing and counting and trying to do other things. I have looked for sites for women support groups but you have to be totally sober.

You can do it!. Make a simple plan to reduce by 2 or 3 a day.

Comment

Hey! Welcome. I am in the same boat as you, I realized I cannot keep drinking the way I have been. I'm trying for complete sobriety as I've already tried "moderation" and I just can't manage it.

Welcome aboard!

Comment

Hey Heather051,

How have you been going with your journey? I am starting out today.

Comment

I started tapering 3 days ago. Already feeling better . But still can't do 0 yet. Lots of withdraw

Comment

I'm right there with you. I knew I couldn't sustain my rate any longer either. This is my 3rd time (a charm!) to abstain from drinking. I've been moderate, with the occasional inebreation for the last 22+ years. However, in the last 2+ years I've gone from 2 a day to 3+ a day. About six months ago I noticed a yellowish tint to my complextion, and I ignored it because the desire to not change was stronger that what I saw in the mirror. After the holidays, I garnered the gumption to change myself for the better and leave status quo behind. I ordered "How to Change Your Drinking" from Amazon and the info has been indispensible. I credit it for giving me the insight about my drinking and the tools to tame the beast. Today will be day 12 of cessation. I use L-Glutimine to hold off cravings ($8 at the health food store). So far, it works. Even if it's all in my head, I'll take it!! I've been using Milk Thistle, too, because I want to be kind to my poor liver.
            My goal is 30 days, then indefinately. I do think about it frequently, but even those thoughts are waning. I want to go 30 days and beyond to even out my brain and liver function and explore the reason for my HABIT. The brain fog is lifting, I feel much more at peace, and my family relations are improving.
            I want you all to know that you're not alone in your process.

Comment

Hi Heather051- I am right there with you. I vowed with the new year I would go 30 days just to prove to myself I could do it. I have only abstained 4 days this month. I am going to keep trying and learn more on how to taper. How are you doing- hopefully you are having some progress and keep trying. I read all these posts and it reassures me it can be done.

Comment

Hi everyone. Wow Heather that's exactly what I was drinking in the last severals..one bottle of wine on the weekdays n 2 - 3 bottles on Saturday and Sunday. But then started drinking 2 bottles on weekday evenings and would feel terrible the next day at work. Then in the last year would have bouts of tachycardia/high heart rate and went to the ER like 5 times at 5 different hospitals of course because I was too ashamed to go to the same one..I'm so scared of that happening again so have tapered down and found this site and have read a lot of Staunton peele over the years. I have used Antabuse to abstain for a few weeks at a time which gives some clean time to clear my head, go to the gym, appreciate being aware and present, take care of my responsibilities that I toss aside while drinking, etc. Then I'd go back to drinking the same amount in a short time but the heart rate thing got so scary I've been taking harm reduction seriously. I have returned to drinking in the last week and have been able to stick with 3 glasses a day (I buy those little vendange chardonnay cartons that are about 3 glasses equivalent and buy one only each time). After I drink that I eat dinner and don't seem to crave anymore after I eat. So far so good. But I do plan to buy the hams book and/or Stanton Peeles latest book and do the worksheets, goal setting, etc. Feel that will be very helpful to have a deeper awareness of my alcohol addiction..funny but after attending yet one more abstinence based teatment program through Kaiser (I show up to group my first day and it was all about AA which I have gone to for 30 years on and off, worked all the steps, and drank afterward eventually) I was told by the group facilitator that I must not have "surrendered". I never returned. Then I started seriously looking at harm reduction websites and info and really believe this is a viable option for me and that I may be successful at. I have a lot of hope now whereas I was getting pretty hopeless before. Anyway hope you or anyone else out there can relate. Love to hear anyone else's experience using Antabuse as an alcohol deterrent, whether good or bad..good luck to you! Good luck to me too as a matter of fact..I'm not entirely confident about my ability to greatly reduce my alcohol consumption but have a lot of hope now..and determination

Comment

Stay determined! Be patient with yourself! I am using L-Glutamine for a deterrent. IF I ever plan to drink again I will start off with kudzu extract.

Comment

I also tried to quit drug consumption completely but sadly I am not able to do this. Now I think getting expert help with this is the only option available so I would like to join suboxone treatment virginia center. Does anyone here have any experience with rehab center?

Comment

Guys feel free to join the general discussion group and introduce yourselves. You will find additional support and resources there and it will be private.

Comment

Working...
                      X