Im new. Here is my story.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im new. Here is my story.

Yesterday was my exact date of 6 moths sober.

I started researching addiction and substance abuse and I found HAMS and I bought the book from amazon for my kindle.

Through all of this, I have begun to feel empowered. I really always believed I was not "powerless" or "diseased" but someone with self-destructive coping skills. How is it that if I am powerless, I am powerful enough to stop when I say I am going to.... However, now I also feel worried because maybe this thought, "I am not an addict", is just a way of my brain tricking me...

I promised myself that I would go a year with out drinking. That is my plan. It is also important to me to be supportive of my fiancé and whatever goals he sets for himself.

I apologize for the long post. Looking forward to finding support and being supportive!
    Last edited by DNM89; 06-20-2017, 01:20 PM.

Welcome! If you haven't tried the closed forums, you may find alot more support there. Best of luck with this journey!

Comment

Hello welcome. What a great insight - "self-destructive coping skills". Yes I agree with scapula, I don't check here much, lot's of folk around to give you support.

Comment

Congratulations on six months of staying sober. However you manage your drinking or not drinking in the future is up to you. It's great that you are doing research and being thoughtful about it.

Comment

I really enjoyed your story. THank you for sharing. I like how you said that your not an addict but someone who has developed poor coping skills. I am right there with you on that. Now on to learn new ones.

Comment

This is all so inspiring! Thank you for having the courage to share your story!

Comment

Working...
            X