help tapering off from wine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help tapering off from wine

I have an addiction to wine. I drink 1-2 bottles every night after work. I have seen issues with my marriage and my job in relation to my drinking. At this point I want to be free of alcohol completely to save my relationship, my career, and my life. Last Tuesday I stopped drinking cold turkey and went through major withdrawals (nauseau, dry heaving, sweating, shakiness, anxiety, high blood pressure, not sleeping for days, not able to eat for days, night sweats). I had to take two sick days off work for this, but even on day three when I went into work I was still so shaky. It was so painful and I’m pretty sure people at work noticed. I relapsed with a bottle of wine on Friday after finding out some bad news. This escalated to two bottles on Saturday. Then I tried tapering off with wine.Trying to taper with wine has been way too easy to go overboard and get drunk. I’m starting my taper schedule off tomorrow but I’m switching to beer. I’m hoping to make it a full day at work without having any withdrawal symptoms before I have my beers. Day 1 - 6 beers, Day 2 - 4 beers, Day 3 - 2 beers, Day 4 - 0 beers. Do you think I should make this schedule more aggressive? I’m hoping this post will hold me accountable. Any advice or support is much appreciated! I’ve seen that I should buy light nasty tasting beer with normal 5%abv. The wine I normally drink is 12.5%. Will this have any affect on the withdrawal symptoms? I really need to stop drinking and I’m praying that this will finally be the way to do it!!

Wants2BeSober Welcome! You may want to consider posting in the closed forum as you will get more feedback. I also drink too much wine. I have quit numerous times over the last year. Twice, I have gone through withdrawals going cold turkey. Not pleasant. I would not do it again. I have never tapered but there are others on this site that have a lot of experience with it. One 12 oz beer is equivalent to one 5 oz. glass of wine. I suggest you read the book How to Change Your Drinking. You can do it!
    I lost my magic wand.... But do I really need it?

Comment

Totally relate to your experience. Do buy the light beer because it is helpful how it can taste like donkey piss but you'll still get the same urge to knock it back to get the effect. I would say leave it late in the day but that's not a gold standard. We do what we have to do and tapering takes some experience. Count your drinks and if you're coming down from 2 bottles of wine ( I would use that personally as having had consumed between 14 and 18 drinks, I'm still trying to work it out, then you may be light on the tapering side. My rule of thumb is that if I drop by between 2 and 4 drinks a day then I still feel like crap but I can function and I don't get the sweats and shakes. You're better to taper by dropping down by keeping count and allowing yourself space to breathe and get some sleep at night. I start my first beer when my anxiety levels rise. Then I drink a light beer an hour and you would be surprised when your body knows you're due.
      You might find it's easier to start earlier in the day when tapering. Like get a half day off work and have the first when you get home. If I try to get through the day feeling anxious and sweaty I ricochet back, have the first drink and think "Brilliant" and load up again so I can feel better and get to sleep.
      Do come to the closed forum. Some of us are currently tapering after overdoing it.

Comment

Welcome to the forum! You will find a lot of support with whatever your trying to achieve in the closed forum. There is a lot of posts you can read through that may pertain to the goals your trying to achieve as well. Good luck and Stay strong!

Comment

Good luck. The longest journey begins with the first step. I have gone down from drinking to your level of wine to moderate level. Be gentle with yourself. I know it feels hard now. Set very reasonable aims. Small baby steps.if you aim to high too fast you feel like a failure. Better is better x

Comment

Working...
          X