Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How are benzos used to treat withdrawal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How are benzos used to treat withdrawal?

I have a prescription for Serax. I’ve used it for a couple years only as needed for panic attacks. I’ve been trying to taper for a little over a month. I am drinking less and I’d like to get abstinent but keep going back up because of the anxiety. How are benzos used for withdrawal? Can I taper and use the Serax for anxiety? Or do I need to go cold turkey and take it? I’m scared to death of the dts and seizures!

Hello Amberina, You will likely get more responses if you post in the closed forum. No one in this forum is able to give medical advice. As far as tapering versus cold turkey you should be able to find a good bit of info just by searching “taper”. Withdrawals can be very serious so please be careful and seek medical advice if needed. Glad you are here.

Comment

Hi

This is not medical advice but only the standard protocol applied by clinics in my country. If a patient comes in for a complete detox, here is how it goes.

10mg of diazepam (or 50mg of oxapam) roughly every 4 hours for the first 3 days. Excluding sleep time, so usually a schedule of 8am, 12am, 4pm, 8pm for practicle purposes. A sleeping aid may be required. A vitamin B1-B6 supplement is often given to the patient. In days 4 to 7 they cut off the 4pm one and the patient should ask for it if he's feeling bad (but the nurses will come into their room many times to check on him and ask how he feels). After day 6, if you stay at the clinic they go down to two pills a day if needed but usually it isn't necessary, the doctor decides and the patient can refuse of course.

It is required that the patient drink at least 3L of water per day during the first 3 days. If not they can hook him up to an IV to keep him hydrated.

That's how it goes where I live.

My only advice, don't go cold turkey with Serax without asking your doctor. If you are a heavy drinker this could get very unpleasant and/or dangerous.

Good luck
      Last edited by dmt83; 05-26-2018, 04:27 AM.

Comment

Benzo’s act as a central nervous system depressant, just like alcohol. So they also control anxiety.

The difference is that benzo’s have a much longer half life (duration) in the body, so stopping them is not as dangerous in terms of DT’s or seizures. Your body has more time to adjust when you stop. This is why they are used as a replacement for alcohol during withdrawals.

Benzo’s are addictive, and combined with alcohol can cause death. So the use of them should be careful and controlled.
        Last edited by Poit; 07-04-2018, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X