Full body cramps during tapering

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Full body cramps during tapering

I'm new to the forum. I had something weird happen today and I can't find it on any web site. I am a day drinker. I went cold turkey cold turkey from about 10 p.m on Saturday to tuesday. It was a hell! I couldn't eat or sleep. I called in Monday because I thought it would be worth it! I had the shakes so bad I could even bend over to tie my shoes. So, I took a few shoots tuesday morning. I was fine for about six hours. Then I got the heavy shakes. A shot and I was fine. Here's where I'm going with this. This part is totally weird. I had a couple shots when I went to work. I was fine for about 3 hours. Then I had full body cramping up. I had to leave work. Threw up, diarrhea. Had to pull over in my truck cause my body was locking up bad. I drink 1.5 gallons of water a day. 2 gaterades. When I made it home I took 5 gulps of vodka and everything stopped. Has anyone had this kinda thing happen to them?

Nope. Have had lots of cramps - mostly associated with dehydration caused by alcohol, etc but sounds like you should have been well hydrated.
    https://hams.vbulletin.net/forum/mai...and-naltrexone

"We must make the best of those things that are in our power, and take the rest as nature gives it."

- Epictetus

Comment

You know what! I was just going to contact you. You seem to be one of the wisest people. I'm just afraid of drinking every few hours just to take these cramps away at work.

Comment

• Sparrow
        Sparrow commented
        Editing a comment
        My suggestion is to go with a taper plan that is slow, and do it with beer, The basics are that you need to know how much you consume and then take one off that every day until you are down to zero. Sounds to me like cold turkey is not going to be for you. Alcohol is one of the oddities, where stopping can mess so much with your brain chem that you can die. I love that you are trying to take control. Please be careful and listen to your body. Stay well, and let us know how things are going.

• merlin
        merlin commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry I missed your reply Mark. I hit the sack pretty early at night. Very kind remark - Thank you. As far as the drinking, I think Sparrow is providing some great advice. You will also get more responses if you start your own thread in the closed forum, under General Discussion. Welcome to HAMS!

Thank you guys. I'm home for about 4 days to taper. I can drink a beer from home when I have the shakes, and pains. I'll start a thread.

Comment

• merlin
        merlin commented
        Editing a comment
        Excellent. I look forward to getting to know you.

Right there with you man ! I am in that same boat ... again ,, right now. Ugh. You can do this !

Comment

Thank you, gooey. I'll be with you too. How are you handling the side affects?

Comment

Bananas. Buy a bunch and eat as best you can. I get them in my feet when going through withdrawals. Bananas make them go away, as does EmergenC. Check your vitals regularly, and don't listen to your alcohol voice (He'll try to trick you into drinking more).
          My Alcohol Free Story

https://hams.vbulletin.net/forum/mai...-pros-and-cons

Comment

Welcome to the forum! I hope you’ve been feeling better since you started this thread. The folks on here have been instrumental in my journey since I decided to taper down on the wine earlier this summer. Even tapering, I experienced the wackiest withdrawal symptoms - I had cramping in my legs and arms and at times, it felt like my hands and forearms were burning. I was surprised I had any of these issues, since I’d always been able to go a few days at a time without drinking. But once I tapered and my body realized I wasn’t refueling with the normal supply of booze, the withdrawal began. I’d say the worst of it was over within 10 days. Then I started feeling normal again and being able to appreciate the feeling of way less alcohol.

My goal isn’t to quit drinking altogether, but rather, stick to 1-2 drinks max on any given weekday, and 3 on weekends. So far, it’s been working out pretty well for me. And whenever it’s been challenging, this forum has inspired me to stay on track! Good luck in your own journey - keep posting! 🙂

Comment

Feeling better?
              My Alcohol Free Story

https://hams.vbulletin.net/forum/mai...-pros-and-cons

Comment

1.5 gallons of water per day? That's a lot. I drink a lot of water too. If you're drinking purified water, you might be depleting your body of minerals like magnesium, salts, potassium, etc. which can cause cramps. I would suggest taking vitamins if you aren't already. Personally, I take 3 per day vitamins rather than 1 a day because strong vitamin supplements make me feel sick. I never thought of withdrawal causing cramps. I wonder if that's why sometimes my feet and legs get cramps before I get up in the morning.

Comment

• Valterham
                  Valterham commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Personal note. I also take iron free vitamins because I already have a lot of iron in my blood. Iron supplements make me nauseous. I'm the only person I know with that issue.

• merlin
                  merlin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Totally off topic, but do you know of any particular reason you run high on iron? that is unusual.

• Valterham
                  Valterham commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Not really sure. I figure it has to do with my diet. Otherwise my blood has always been an extremely dark red. When I got my iron checked by putting a drop of it in some liquid, it sank like a rock and the nurse went "wow". I haven't talked to my doctor about it specifically. All I know is I switched vitamins and I don't get the attacks I did before. My stomach would cramp up, I'd sweat, get dizzy, feel like I'm dying for a couple hours. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_poisoning
              Working...
              X