I'm new and kind of scared. Need help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm new and kind of scared. Need help

I drink way too much wine. And I want to stop. Everytime i try i feel sick and can't sleep. I have never really been here before. My intake (tolerance) has gotten alot worse. I don't know how to cut down or stop. I need help.

Well, you have come to the right place. The first thing you want to do is be kind to yourself. You want to make a change, and that is huge!! What you need is to taper. You will want to figure out how many standard drinks you have per night. Then you drink one less, at your own pace, until you are at zero. There is more info on the main page on tapering etc. Most people do it with beer, but it can be done with wine. I’m living proof.

I expect someone will come along shortly with links. I’d do it, but I need to get to work now. Stick with us, we’re a nice crowd.

Comment

Thank you. I appreciate the support and any advice is more than welcome. I've gotten to the point where I drink one of the big bottles of chard every night. I drink throughout the day as well. I always, and I mean always add ice to my drinks everytime. I notice when I chill the wine in my fridge, and pour a normal amount without ice, I drink way less. Because it hits me harder. I apparently like to be not to hammered, yet enjoy the constant buzz, and sometimes a little harder than buzzed. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but I am glad to be able to talk to someone about it. I need help. And I want to try to do it myself before anything else.

Comment

Welcome wine lush! Glad you found us. Like you, I drank a large bottle of Pinot noir every night. Got tired of feeling sick and tired but as the holidays reared their head I started drinking beer in the day followed by my usual large bottle of wine at night. The beer with the wine definitely caused me withdrawals. I tapered with warm light beer, tracked my resting heart rate and blood pressure and used Benadryl to try to help me sleep. You’ll likely have some restless nights but you can do it! I tapered in only about 4 days so it was painful, but you could go more slowly to avoid as many withdrawal symptoms. Keep us updated with your progress, and be sure to check out the taper guides on the hams homepage.

Comment

Welcome! Make sure you are taking the B vitamins. I am taking vitamin B1 also known as thiamine. Also vitamin B12 and folic acid and zinc. Alcohol robs the body of B vitamins. I am in the process of researching all of this right now and just thought I would share what I have learned so far. I also take some CBD oil in the morning which I think helps. All the best to you!!

Comment

Welcome! While I am new as well, you'll find this forum to be very helpful. I use this site, Marijuana Maintenance and The Sinclair Method to help with my every day/all day drinking and it's been very helpful. I've found that while Naltrexone and marijuana help with the brain chemistry, this site helps me with the motivation, drive and support. I've also read some cool things that you can do with leftover wine if you can leave a little, such as putting it in an ice tray and then using it for cooking later or if your white wine starts to get vinegary, you can make a nice vinaigrette! Best of luck and congrats on coming to the right place for help!

Comment

WLiWC -

I too have that pattern of drinking wine iced and drinking all day. What I discovered is that there are different kinds of drinkers. The "wild party drinker" - the kind who wakes up in a different person's bed several times a week--was never me. I found I was a "numbing"drinker. I drank literally to "turn down the volume" of life: to make my house quieter, inter-family problems seem less, business issues to bother me less.

It might be interesting for you to track, for a few days, what your "trigger" is. On a day when you are trying to go without, what makes you say "To heck with it - I want my wine!" That might give you clues on how to cut down or quit for a period of time if that is what you want to do.

Comment

You can do it. Many have. Some brief recommendations:
                1. Find community. Online or in person or preferably both.
                2. Read as much as you can about your condition and recovery. William Porter's Alcohol Explainedis the best book on the topic I've ever read.
                3. Take care of your health: exercise, eat right, de-stress.
                4. Taper till you get to zero drinks. Then do one abs day. Then another. Baby steps.
                5. Find replacements for alcohol. I like diet root beer, ginger beer, seltzer, ice cream...just not all at once.
                6. If you fail, get back up and try again. Patience. Tenacity.
                7. Be kind to yourself. This means forgiveness but also being serious about quitting (and even moderation is quitting on some level).
                Good luck. Aim for success.

Comment

Working...
                X