Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Experienced Mild Withdrawals, Can I ever drink again?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Experienced Mild Withdrawals, Can I ever drink again?

Early December I fell into the habit of drinking 3-4 times a week, I've recently gotten into good shape and lost a bunch of body fat so I was probably being affected by the alcohol more than previous years. On the 3rd week of December I had about a 3 day bender where I was drinking during the day and night due to holiday parties. After this I experienced some mild symptoms of alcohol withdrawal. I had high levels of anxiety & felt nervous in rooms with people, I could hear my heart beat, felt a little shakey at times, and had to be alone by myself for a few days.

During this time I had no cravings, I just wanted to stay away from alcohol and feel better. The worst symptoms were over after a few days but I still felt anxiety for a couple weeks after. I didn't taper and have not had a drink since, its been over 40 days and I feel fantastic right now.

Will I ever be able to drink socially again? Tonight i'm going to a comedy show and want to have a couple glasses of wine. I've read about kindling and I dont want to experience a seizure or full withdrawal just by having a glass or two of wine. I'm 27 years old.

Welcome GucciAtlas…...not that I am an expert but I have had my fair share of anxiety which gets a lot worse after major drinking.....I think you are right that you just had very mild withdrawal after your 3 day bender.....I seriously don't think that having a glass or two of wine will cause kindling or seizures or massive withdrawal.....just my opinion...many cheers

Comment

Also not a medical expert, but I agree with Try Hard. Have one glass and see how you feel.

Comment

Hello,

Other people are definitely better versed in all this, but my understanding would be that if you didn't have a seizure in the first place after the abs period following the bender (and no major withdrawals within the first three days), I doubt you'd have a seizure suddenly after 2-3 glasses of wine 40 days after. I am just thinking that it's not how that works, but I am in no way an expert on this or a medical professional.

I have similar issues with anxiety and worry about these things. Many people on this site have been informative, and supportive through it all.

Comment

Well, I can tell you that worrying about withdrawl will be a self fulfulling prophecy. I think you should be ok drinking a glass or two. Then switch to something fizzy and fun. I know I was terribly nervous after my 30 day abs last year. I won’t lie, it’s been more of a struggle to mods than I originally thought, but I’ve done it before, and I know I can do it again. That’s the great thing about this site..I’ve learned so much! And I can recognize when I need to do a reboot...and that’s ok..

Comment

You can, but do you really want to?

Comment

Have you read "How to Change Your Drinking"? There's a section on this topic, pp. 166-169. In my understanding (disclaimer: of course I don't have a medical license or degree), after your body and habits have been "reset," alcohol withdrawal can be prevented the same way as if you had never had it. It's not like acid flashbacks, where it suddenly comes back if you binge drink once a year later. Your body has to become physically dependent on it again. It's more AA-dogma that says you can never drink again, which is related more to the 12-step philosophy than medical facts.

Comment

Working...
              X